Wednesday, 1 April 2015

A Video of Deep Understanding


Often I am asked...
Is this just about spelling? 
or 
How is this possible with young children?

This VIDEO describes my response, perfectly!

These two curious six year old orthographers, who demonstrate 
such delight and wonder, whilst investigating their significant words,  
embody what is, and can be, possible when studying orthography with young children.

"Nothing motivates learning more than understanding."

Studying orthography encompasses:
  • a quest for knowledge and understanding
  • thoughtful, scholarly questions
  • an ongoing learning journey
  • a thirst for more
  • wonder and curiosity



Thank you for contacting Lyn at
inquiry.beyondtheword@gmail.com
if you share or use this video.





8 comments:

  1. When I click on the link it says this video is private. I would love to see it, though. Please let me know when the link is working. =) lauren kelley 82 at yahoo dot come

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  2. Hi Lauren, You should have access to the video now. Let me know if it works for you.
    Regards, Lyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love this video. Seeing these students investigating on their own is such a joy. Despite their youth (“2001 - that’s quite long ago!”) they are so engaged in this quest for understanding. So inspiring. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have just listened to these young orthographers with a huge smile on my face. This embodies everything that word inquiry should be: collaborative, reflective, rigorous, challenging, making sense of words , making connections through the base element to other words and at the same time filled with amazement and humour! And who could possibly doubt now that young children can undertake such thoughtful work and inquiry?!! Who could doubt now that the realms of etymology and morphology should be barred to the young and the province only of older students?! Bravo boys for showing us all just what young inquirers can accomplish when given the orthographical lenses of morphology and etymology for viewing and understanding words. And thankyou for teaching me about the fleshy colour of carnations!! I'll be sharing this with my Grade 7 students and elementary and middle school teachers here in Kuala Lumpur. And back to enjoy this again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice article, thanks for the information. You give me some idea's. I will bookmark for next reference.

    Ketterman Rowland & Westlund Lawyers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing blog post as always! I am very glad to see your post, I located what I was in search of here. Thank you!

    Christian Retreat Center Washington

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very best articles, I happy to read it, Beautiful nice and useful! Thank you very much.

    Best deals Top Notch Shoretel Support

    ReplyDelete